Effect of color on memory
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 10 participants
- 80 flash cards
- 4 crayons – red, yellow, blue and green
- 40 sheets of paper
- 10 pens
- a stopwatch
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is the color of the flash cards. The dependent variable is the ability of the participants to remember the contents of the flash cards. This is determined by asking them to write down what they saw. The constants (control variables) are the duration of time they are allowed to look at the flash cards and the number of flash cards used.
2. Four sets of flash cards are used in this science project. Each set contains of 20 cards. Each set of cards are colored using different colors - the first set is colored red, the secondset yellow, the third set blue and the fourth set green.
3. The 10 participants are made to sit in the same room. The first set of flash cards is shown to them one card at a time. The participants are allowed to look at each flash card for only 10 seconds before the next card is shown.
4. After all 20 flash cards are shown to the participants, the participants are each given a pen and a piece of paper. They are given 10 minutes to recall what they saw on the flash cards and to write it down on the sheet of paper. After the 10 minutes is over, tcollect their notes for analysis. The number of correct answers is counted and recorded.
5. The participants are given 30 minutes to rest. After that, procedures 3 and 4 are repeated using the second, third and fourth sets of flash cards.
Basic safety requirements