Ceiling height and room temperature
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 27 pieces of cardboard, size 1m x 1m
- a measuring tape
- 3 incandescent lamps rated at 25W
- 3 thermometers
- 1 ruler
- 1 paper knife
- 1 roll of masking tape
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is the height of the box. The dependent variable is the temperature inside each box. This is determined by using the thermometer to measure the temperature. The constants (control variables) are the heat generated by the incandescent lamp, the footprint (occupied floor size) of each box and the position of the thermometer.
2. The cardboards are used to construct 3 boxes. The bottom of the boxes will be open.
a. The first box will be made using 5 sheets of cardboard and will be 1 meter tall,
b. The second box will be made using 9 sheets of cardboard and will be 2 meters tall, and
c. The third box will be made using 13 sheets of cardboard and will be 3 meters tall.
The cardboard sheets will be attached together with masking tape.
3. A total of 8 rectangular holes size 300mm x 50mm are cut out on the 4 sides of the boxes. The first 4 holes will be 300mm above the floor and the next 4 holes will be 300mm from the top of the box. See figure 1. .
4. A small hole is made on one of the sides of each box, 400mm from the floor and the thermometer is inserted 5cm inside the box.
5. The incandescent lamp is placed on the floor in the center of the box and lit up. Once the temperature of the thermometer has stabilized, it is recorded in the table below.
Basic safety requirements. Handle electricity and hot lightbulbs with care and proper protection/gloves.