The materials required for this science fair project:
- 3 cars – of thesame make and model, interior and color
- 1 non-reflective sunshade
- 1 reflective sunshade
- 1 infrared thermometer
1. For this science project, the independent variable is the type of sunshade used – no sunshade, a non-reflective sunshade and a reflective sunshade. The dependent variable is the temperature on the dashboard, the steering wheel and the seat. This is determined using an infrared thermometer. The constants (control variables) are the color of the car, the outside temperature, the make and model of the car.
2. The 3 cars are first checked to ensure their colors, interior conditionsand their model are the same. The cars are then parked outside under the sun and checked using the infrared thermometer to ensure that the temperatures inside all the 3 cars are similar.
3. Once the internal temperatures of the 3 cars are verified as being the same, the cars are prepared for testing on the next day as follows :
a. The first car is parked in the sun without any sunshade.
b. The second car is parked in the sun with a non-reflective sunshade under the windscreen.
c. The third car is parked in the sun with a reflective sunshade under the windscreen.
4. On the next day, the temperatures of the cars are observed for 10 hours from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. The temperatures dashboard, steering wheel and the driver’s seat are checked once every 2 hours using the infrared thermometer. All the temperatures are recorded in the table below.
Ensure that cars are driven by persons with valid driving licenses.